Leaving Goodforthegame because of WSB's limiting

• hanrick
  • hanrick's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
More
8 years 2 months ago #1 by hanrick
Hi guys

I have been a member of goodforthegame’s forum for a long time. Goodforthegame is my favourite website and I like and respect everybody on this forum. I honestly believe goodforthegame has made me the punter I am today and I have learned everything I know about betting here. I have received some great tips and I would like to think that I have contributed in a positive way here.

My betting account with WSB was limited on 16 June 2015. Since then I have tried in a professional and nice way to have my limit lifted, but they could not care less. Every month I just receive a standard email back informing me that my limit stays intact. Last week I phoned two bets in and I was able to get bigger bets in via the phone. When I tried to do this again on Sunday I was told that I could not make a bet bigger than R500. I feel if I phone the bet in they can decide whether they want to accept my bet or not so I can’t see the reason for me being limited via phone too.

I have now tried all the avenues available to me to have my limit taken off. From now on I will warn everyone I know not to bet with WSB and I will boycott them everywhere possible. As they advertise on goodforthegame and sponsor prizes, this means I will no longer post bets on here either. It’s a really sad day for me to do this, but I feel strong enough to take a stand against them that I have to do this. I know as just one person doing this it will probably not make any difference to them, but for me it’s the principle that matters.

I will return if WSB takes my limit off (but that’s not going to happen) or when they don’t advertise on this website anymore. But I also understand that the owners of this website make their money out of the advertising so I am in no way trying to get them to not have WSB advertise on here.

Again, this is really hard for me to leave this website, but I have to boycott those crooks. Thank you that I could have learned so much from you guys.

I will check back on this thread.

Hanrick

Let the battle begin www.twitter.com/hanrickswart
The topic has been locked.
More
8 years 2 months ago #2 by Quill

hanrick wrote: Hi guys

I have been a member of goodforthegame’s forum for a long time. Goodforthegame is my favourite website and I like and respect everybody on this forum. I honestly believe goodforthegame has made me the punter I am today and I have learned everything I know about betting here. I have received some great tips and I would like to think that I have contributed in a positive way here.

My betting account with WSB was limited on 16 June 2015. Since then I have tried in a professional and nice way to have my limit lifted, but they could not care less. Every month I just receive a standard email back informing me that my limit stays intact. Last week I phoned two bets in and I was able to get bigger bets in via the phone. When I tried to do this again on Sunday I was told that I could not make a bet bigger than R500. I feel if I phone the bet in they can decide whether they want to accept my bet or not so I can’t see the reason for me being limited via phone too.

I have now tried all the avenues available to me to have my limit taken off. From now on I will warn everyone I know not to bet with WSB and I will boycott them everywhere possible. As they advertise on goodforthegame and sponsor prizes, this means I will no longer post bets on here either. It’s a really sad day for me to do this, but I feel strong enough to take a stand against them that I have to do this. I know as just one person doing this it will probably not make any difference to them, but for me it’s the principle that matters.

I will return if WSB takes my limit off (but that’s not going to happen) or when they don’t advertise on this website anymore. But I also understand that the owners of this website make their money out of the advertising so I am in no way trying to get them to not have WSB advertise on here.

Again, this is really hard for me to leave this website, but I have to boycott those crooks. Thank you that I could have learned so much from you guys.

I will check back on this thread.

Hanrick

I think your leaving will be a big loss for this forum.
I must say I have been following your posts and bets and thank you for that. (B)

Good luck!
More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #3 by Murfin
Sorry to hear that Hanrick you always made very valuable contributions to this forum.

But from my experience all the SA bookies limit and refuse to unlimit once that's done, not just WSB. Each bookie is just as bad as the other one. A long time back when I used overseas bookies they also were quick to limit. I think only Betfair (as its a betxchange) and pinnacle wont limit out of the decent bookies and as South Africans we cant use them.

The one SA bookie that took ages to limit was sunbet, but even they started limiting about 6 months ago. I am not saying the WSB aren't frustrating and chicken but saying they no worse then the rest of SA or even the world and you far too good at punting to lose hope. All of us need all the help we get to beat the bookies and your posts helped A LOT.

Worst case, could you at least post where there is lots of value at WSB so at least the forum punters can milk WSB for the small amounts they limit us to. :)

Oh ja, please don't leave us before Super Rugby !!! really need your help there !!!!

Jesus Saves
Last edit: 8 years 2 months ago by Murfin.
More
8 years 2 months ago #4 by coil
Hanrick me mate , I hear you. Was quite happy for you when I read you were able to phone in bets to WSB , but sadly that too was taken away from you.

I've been punting since I was a small lad at Borrowdale racecourse in Zimbabwe, for good or for worse it's in my blood and I simply love it. It's my hobby and my pastime and would be lost without it. Overall I would say I'm definitely down but have enjoyed the ride so far. However the last few year's for me have made me a very sour individual indeed. And that's primarily due to these so called "bookmakers" limiting accounts where they see fit.

What puts the cherry on the top is that a number of these establishments have drained me of plenty of coin over the years and when I hit a rich vein of form I am limited very very quickly.

The first to go for me was Sportingbet, I wrote to them , Brent even wrote to them on my behalf. Next was Lance Michael, now that is a "tit" if ever there was one. The guy talks only in telephone numbers but I was limited after winning perhaps R20000 over a number of smaller bets to a couple of hundred by some of his goon operators.

Bet.co.za are another faceless bunch of narcissists. Awful odd's but I liked their initial live in play markets , which were only cut and pasted from overseas sites anyway LOL, however they too limited me to a couple of hundred rand a bet within a short space of time.

Leaving the last few asses to last.

WSB . Wow what can I say about these morons. They limited me to 2000 stake after a year or two. So if a horse was 1/10 I could potentially win 200. Or if I was doing 5000 in the day there was virtually no way I could get out of it. In other words they were in control of my gambling, my hobby and my enjoyment. After numerous emails between Warren and a few of his henchmen it was increased momentarily to R5000. That lasted maybe a week, before I knew it my limit had dropped to R2000, then R1000 and then to R500 !!!

That is USD 30, Euros 27 and pounds 23.

This from a "bookmaker" that has been sponsoring racedays to the tune of hundreds of thousands of rands. And boy have I let them have it in a few choice emails.

Sportsbet were the next to go although they lasted longer than most , with I think Lisa having much to do with that luckily. They were my favourite site, easy to navigate and great markets to ponder over. I was restricted to R50 rand a point on spreads and then R500 of a fixed odd. i was offered the phone in route , but after holding for the clueless phone operators to get my bet right the price had either changed or I was offered no bet !!!! This for what's his name something Sepal ? Another clown who talks in telephone numbers LOL.

Betxchange are shocking , their site is outdated and navigating does not follow any real format, but they at least did offer spreads. I was heavily limited on fixed odds due to my own decision to sell points in dour conditions in a 7's tournament a while back. They referred to me as a shrewdy !!! For heavens sake , it was pissing down with rain and they were simply following overseas markets ?? Was I shrewd or were they just stupid ...I think the latter. I continued with spreads in which they take the biggest margins in the world !!!!! , that's right , in the ENTIRE WORLD to only find out a week or 2 ago that my account had been closed !! I never even bothered to send them a message as they are quite frankly the most vile "bookmakers" to deal with. These are the same buffoons who sponsor MMA on DSTV for what must cost them a tidy sum, however when one hear's the voice of the American announcer one want's to search for the nearest vomit bag :sick: so I'm actually grateful to be out of that witches nest.

So I'm now left with Hollywood and Sunbet. Both don't offer the greatest of prices and are slightly tighter than others. Hollywoods in running is woeful but has got a little better.

Overall I think these fake operations mentioned above need to seriously have a look at the manner in which they close accounts, their poor communication skills or lack there of. Most I'm sure could work out a better strategy than limiting accounts but frankly they are just not bothered. I think various forms of media may be the only way's in which to vent our poor experiences and I for one will encourage all to do so.

All the best Hanrick and may you have a great Super Rugby season (B)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sleuth01
More
8 years 2 months ago #5 by Sleuth01
I feel for you guys.

Also had my run ins with WSB, towards the end of last year I caught them on a 13/1 shot if I remember correctly on the F1 in an exotic, first driver to retire.

He had some problems in the warmup so I figured ok its an exotic which I don't usually go for but he was must shorter than the other drivers so I thought OK they have priced accordingly and I am prepared to take on the risk. My bet was a small one.

Some of my mates put a lot more on the bet.

In any case lo and behold the punt lands, they payout and then a day later reverse the bet making it a LOSS.
I was livid, reported the matter and asked for an explanation ( now bear in mind they copy Bet365 diligently ), I was told " we made an error and when we make a mistake we correct it the next day "

I have never had one of these " errors " go my way the next day ?
Bet 365 PAID OUT on the same bet ?

So next step I report it to the Gauteng gambling board, needless to say that lot couldn't be bothered and I still haven't had a response.

My mates however have taken the matter further, court action is underway and I will advise of the outcome once the law runs it course.

Everything is going to be OK ;)
More
8 years 2 months ago #6 by Couch Critic
Replied by Couch Critic on topic Leaving Goodforthegame because of WSB's limiting
I can completely understand how Hanrick can feel annoyed with a company like WSB to the point of such drastic measure and credit to you for wanting to take a "moral stand" if you will.

That being said (and I am not in any manner affiliated with GFTG or WSB) I feel that turning your back on this site will never be the right course of action. As H mentioned this is a great website offering insight and tips and it is made possible through advertisers. Yes it is a pity that one (maybe more according to some) of the companies that advertise here might have done you wrong but that is not the fault of GFTG. One must also keep in mind that most of us have enjoyed playing the suberbru games where WSB have also been good sponsors of- so they are perhaps not all badto everyone... Lastly if you then really feel that it is your task of trying to get them back then perhaps Murfin has the better method of doing so by highlighting the value bets one sees with the company or site that limits you but give others the chance to capitalise and hurt the bookie.

Anyway I am in no way trying to criticise Hanrick but I feel Brent, Chris and others have created a great platform for us punters and in my opinion turning your back on the efforts of these guys is not the right way to go purely because you are trying to make some statement to a bookie.

Twitter: @HDiemont
  • hanrick
  • Away
More
8 years 2 months ago #7 by hanrick
Thanks for the replies guys. You make good points and I will reconsider my position. Maybe it will be better to stay on.

Just also wanted to add that WSB has closed my account. They emailed me that they are aware of my comments on GFTG and has therefore closed my account.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Stoossy
More
8 years 2 months ago #8 by catsmug
I posted this 5 months ago.

catsmug
Thank you received: 44

A much travelled road and one that "bookies" should hang their heads in shame about.

Brent imvho it does not help when we use terms like "plead your case" in this situation it is as if a punter is guilty when he wins cash from these parasites that parade as oddsmakers. The bottom line with most of these clowns is that they are anything but bookmakers. They don't make books, they don't make odds, they are just incompetent. I say again legislation is needed to stop this exploitation. If you are prepared to offer odds on any event you should be compelled to lay minimum amounts.

The only advice I can give is to try establish a relationship with an independant bookie and negotiate limits upfront. I have done this with two and it works for me. One will lay me 50k of anything, the other 20k of horses and 30k of sports. Works for me.

As you go through life it’s a long, long road. There’ll be joys and sorrows too
More
8 years 2 months ago #9 by Murfin

catsmug wrote: I posted this 5 months ago.

catsmug

A much travelled road and one that "bookies" should hang their heads in shame about.

Brent imvho it does not help when we use terms like "plead your case" in this situation it is as if a punter is guilty when he wins cash from these parasites that parade as oddsmakers. The bottom line with most of these clowns is that they are anything but bookmakers. They don't make books, they don't make odds, they are just incompetent. I say again legislation is needed to stop this exploitation. If you are prepared to offer odds on any event you should be compelled to lay minimum amounts.

The only advice I can give is to try establish a relationship with an independant bookie and negotiate limits upfront. I have done this with two and it works for me. One will lay me 50k of anything, the other 20k of horses and 30k of sports. Works for me.

That's a fantastic idea. Which two bookies? Are they reputable e.g. do they payout? Would love to do the same. I am currently sitting with limited accounts on every bookie I use and would love to be able to bet freely again.

Jesus Saves
More
8 years 2 months ago #10 by coil

Murfin wrote:

catsmug wrote: I posted this 5 months ago.

catsmug

That's a fantastic idea. Which two bookies? Are they reputable e.g. do they payout? Would love to do the same. I am currently sitting with limited accounts on every bookie I use and would love to be able to bet freely again.

True indeed , Catsmug would your bookie be at liberty to reveal his identity ? He could quite well gain a few more clients ?
More
8 years 2 months ago #11 by Driver
Guys , i have been limited from every site in the country and i refuse to even try open accounts with any of them anymore .
I have a bookmaker who uses bet365 prices and allows for all bets in running and you can get as much as you want . The bookmaker has been in the industry for 30 years in cape town and has a very good name in the industry . The only sport he doesnt allow for inplay is rugby he only allows for half time rugby . he does all betting in between overs in cricket and will lay exact prices seen on bet365 . He also makes his own lines for rugby pre match and sends them out on a thursday morning
He has several staff working for him and all bets are recorded telephonically .
When i started using him he also have me a R3000 once off bet to try out his service and it has been nothing but fantastic . Settling is done via eft and his offices are based in cape town .
if anyone would like more info feel free to contact me as im sick of hearing these sick stories of all these pathetic online companies only looking for fish and limiting clients for no reason
More
8 years 2 months ago #12 by Theratman
Replied by Theratman on topic Leaving Goodforthegame because of WSB's limiting
Hanrick it'll be a crying shame to see you go as you are one of the most knowledgeable rugby punters here. I'd understand if you wanted to stop gambling but I don't think it's worth quitting the forum because of their association with wsb. WSB have done a huge marketing campaign and are now one of the bigger books, they also do a lot for the forum with prizes etc. I completely understand your frustration with them but they don't care if you quit the forum, us GFTGers however do! So please don't leave!

Dignity and an empty sack Is worth the sack
The following user(s) said Thank You: Stoossy
More
8 years 2 months ago #13 by Brent Graham
Replied by Brent Graham on topic Leaving Goodforthegame because of WSB's limiting
A hectic few days at work and I haven't been able to give this thread its due diligence.

It does appear as though the online books are looking for smaller punters at higher volumes and it is interesting to read from Catsmug and Driver that there are other options for those that have effectively out grown the online offerings.

I think the comments of Murfin and Couch sum up my feelings on this matter.

Driver I imagine there will be some demand for those details - if you prefer not to put your address on the forum drop me a line This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. and I will give interested parties your address.

Chat with me on Twitter - @BrentGraham
  • hanrick
  • Away
More
8 years 2 months ago #14 by hanrick
Thanks for everybody's comments. I have decided to stay on in the forum. After consideration, starting this thread was probably out of line and I apologise if I offended Chris, Brent or Alan. I was just very frustrated and angry at the time and probably vented at the wrong place. I should have thought it through before acting.

If the thread discourages any new punters to open accounts with WSB, then it was worth it. Trust me, you don't want to deal with those clowns.

Driver, please email me your bookmaker's details if you don't mind. This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

More
8 years 2 months ago #15 by kompos

Driver wrote: Guys , i have been limited from every site in the country and i refuse to even try open accounts with any of them anymore .

if anyone would like more info feel free to contact me as im sick of hearing these sick stories of all these pathetic online companies only looking for fish and limiting clients for no reason

Is this the light at the end of the tunnel?
Although I really battle with the phone these days, his info please "Driver".
My email is This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
More
8 years 2 months ago #16 by coil
Thanks BG I would be grateful of any contacts you may get , please may you forward onto me ?
More
8 years 2 months ago #17 by coil
PS Would any of these books be interested in laying spreads ?
More
8 years 2 months ago #18 by Driver
please leave your email here and i will contact you via email

thanks
More
8 years 2 months ago #19 by Driver
i sent you a email
More
8 years 2 months ago #20 by coil
can u send to this address This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it., cheers
More
8 years 2 months ago #21 by Murfin
Can you send to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Jesus Saves
More
8 years 2 months ago #22 by Brent Graham
Replied by Brent Graham on topic Leaving Goodforthegame because of WSB's limiting
Guys going to close this thread now but anyone interested can e-mail me This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. and I will put you in touch with Driver

Chat with me on Twitter - @BrentGraham